Well the plants are in and the seeds are sown. Now its time to water and wait. The only thing that is keeping me entertained is the weeds and lettuce. And I am not sure which is growing faster. My neighbor gardener has asked if we needed any more lettuce and I just laughed and said you can't ever have too much. At this time of year, you appreciate all of the produce you can get because we have been waiting the entire winter and most of the spring for just a little something green.
The herbs are always something fun to have in the garden. I think that the best ones or maybe the ones we like the best are thyme, green onions, chives, and sage. The onions are getting big from last fall and the chives are perennials. I swear that I never knew what the things we were missing by not having thyme. Not that dried crispy flavorless kind that you find in your grocery aisle, but the green fantastically flavored kind that we use in everything. We really like to use it in marinades for chicken. The sage is not something I thought that we would really use, but we do. We use it to make homemade sausage, stuffing and my most favorite sauce: browned butter sage sauce on butternut ravioli. Oh my goodness, words cannot describe.
As we gear up for summer let's take the time to appreciate the growth and new life that is springing from our gardens. It is the time that I realize how little we have to do with life even though we put the seeds in the ground. How do the plants know to start growing and how do they know which direction to grow? The amazing processes that happen without us knowing are the parts of plants which are intriguing. In the meantime I will pretend to be able to have an effect and impact on my plants and hopefully you will do the same thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment