I think it is only fitting that my first post on this blog is all about my first planting of the year. Well, I officially planted the first onions in the garden today. My family has a belief that you should always plant onions and potatoes the week of St Patty's. So, in true family tradition, the onions were bought many weeks ago in hopes that warm weather would soon be here. I have been, slowly over the past weeks or so, working my gardens and preparing the dirt. I dug the gardens up and trimmed all of the perennials.
This year I planted yellow onions but last year it was red, the year before that was white and red. I like to switch it up and see which varieties I like best and which grow the best. Sometimes I switch up the kinds just to have something different. I have vegetable gardens that range in exposure from very shady to full sun. And so far, the yellow onions seem to do the best in full sun, which is good because that is where I had space for them this year.
Onions are the first things I plant each year, they are almost like the starting gun for the marathon of summer. I can't hardly contain my excitement for the coming months, seeds, and .... dirt.
Well, I may not like to garden but I love to here your stories. Keep them coming Code.
ReplyDelete-Trisa